Tuesday, August 16, 2022

ROMANCE INTERRUPTED

 



1983

I was just 23 years old, still wet behind my years, new to the US, and simply put, innocent to the ways of the world.

Dr. L was a blue-eyed blond doctor who moon-lighted every other weekend in my hospital. With his Nordic good looks, he probably had a girlfriend in every hospital he worked at, but he was the first ever non-Filipino male who caught my attention. My other friends said that he was a snob with a God complex, but for some reason, he was always nice to me.

One day, I was waiting for my turn at the cafeteria and pointed out the french fries to the cafeteria worker. From behind me, Dr. L chuckled and said, “I like french fries, too”. Who’d think that such a simple sentence would make me stammer and render me blubbering like a fool?

My heart fluttered. I was not good at small talk. I did not know how to flirt. My friends later told me that my face was flushed. I did not know at that time that some of my friends witnessed the tableau from their table.

Then, as bad timing as it can get, Dr. L’s pager beeped. A code arrest in one of the skilled nursing units. Romance (and lunch) interrupted. He looked at the soda can that I was holding, and with a sheepish smile of apology took it from me, sipped from it, returned the soda can, and said, “Thank you.”

Woah! What else can I do but give the soda can back to him and say “Take it”. He winked at me as he ran towards the code.

I don’t know how I should have handled it like a more sophisticated woman would do, but his gesture was a sensual and intimate action that I was too naive and uncomfortable to respond to. I thought, “Dalagang pilipina ako!”, a typical conservative Filipina.

Truth be told, a tiny wild part of me swooned.  But, in all my innocence and probably due to my unfamiliarity with modern courtship, I convinced myself the blatant flirting was disrespectful.

I gave him the cold shoulder the next time we met in the ICU where I worked. In my mind, he was a gigolo. When he invited me to dinner, I told him a lie, “I have a boyfriend back home. I'm engaged.”

 

2010

In my interview for a nursing director position in a New York hospital, the Chief Nursing Officer wanted me to do a Meet-and-Greet with the Chief Medical Officer, but he was out at an educational conference at that time. I was surprised to hear that the CMO was "my" Dr. L.

The internet search yielded a recent picture of Dr. L. He still sports the same round-rimmed glasses, older but still has a boyish charm that had captivated me all those years ago. I was sure that he now had a family of HIS own. I was now happily divorced myself.

On my first day at my new job, I was sitting by myself in the cafeteria, when somebody joined me at my table. There he was, Dr. L, with his soda can, "We meet again."

Surprised, I stammered, "You remember me after all these years?"

He grinned at me. “Of course, you broke my heart."

My eyebrow raised. This time, I am now mature and sophisticated, no longer that innocent girl who blubbered like a fool.

He said, "I read your resume and knew it was you. I see that you still like French fries.” His ringless hand gestured at my plate. 

Dr. L sat down and smiled his most engaging smile, and I was lost. 


THE END



Nina- If I Should Love Again




Clay Walker - I'd Love To Be Your Last




(Author's note: Year 1983 happened. Year 2010 is just a dream.)

1 comment:

  1. As I was reading your story from 1983 to 2010 I got so excited and started to wonder how it ended between you and Dr. L. Only to find out the 2010 was not real. You got me there, Jo. LOL!

    ReplyDelete